Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Avoid discussing or calling attention to (something embarrassing or unpleasant)‘I will draw a veil over the cheerless days that followed’
conceal, cover up, hide, camouflage, disguise, mask, veil, draw a veil over, whitewashView synonyms
- ‘Mr Khatami unintentionally drew a veil over a system that everyone knows is terrible.’
- ‘Similarly, he prefers to draw a veil over his first year at university, which was clearly unhappy for reasons not totally related to his indifference to Fellini movies.’
- ‘After a humiliating pasting at the by-election earlier this year, where they didn't just lose the MSP seat but slumped into third place, one would have thought Labour would have been keen to draw a veil over a memorably inept campaign.’
- ‘Anyone can have an off day, and we'll draw a veil over which one of us it was.’
- ‘They tried to draw a veil over the horrors of the recent past - to pretend, as far as possible, that Auschwitz and Dachau had never happened, and that all we needed to worry about was the length of ladies' skirts when worn at Henley Regatta.’
- ‘Anyway we'll draw a veil over the second course.’
- ‘I never did get to lift the League Cup as captain of Celtic, and if you don't mind I'll draw a veil over the other final I played in during the 1990s which Raith Rovers won on penalties.’
- ‘I can't change it, I can't make it better, so I have to draw a veil over it.’
- ‘I will draw a veil over the following three years of delays and denials and posturing and game-playing, although it was no game to me.’
- ‘I'll draw a veil over the next ten nights of pain, thirst and hallucination except to say that it was all worth it and I'm now back home gradually regaining my health and strength.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.