Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A board game for two players, played on a draughtboard. Each player starts with twelve disc-shaped pieces in three rows along one side of the board, and moves them diagonally with the aim of capturing all the opponent's pieces.
- ‘If they get bored, the shed boasts a CD player, dart board and draughts.’
- ‘St. Mary's Community games under 14 draughts will be held on Sunday, February 10th at 2 pm in Allenwood Boys School.’
- ‘They played all sorts of games: cards, draughts, and even charades.’
- ‘On this map the players play a military game of about the same complexity of draughts (checkers).’
- ‘Badminton, soccer, volleyball, basketball, draughts, table tennis, art and make and model are planned.’
- ‘We also enjoyed dominoes, draughts, snakes and ladders, and Monopoly.’
- ‘A few people were inside of it playing cards, chess, draughts and other things.’
- ‘They played chess faster than we play draughts.’
- ‘The highlights will, as always, be the athletics finals but Carlow will also be hoping for gold in draughts, Olympic handball and indoor soccer events with six teams competing.’
- ‘The whole family took part in draughts, backgammon, and cards (which had been produced in Europe from medieval times).’
- ‘Sometimes, he'd set up a game of draughts for them to play and Jude was able to take his turn by feeling around the board for the pawns and deciding his moves.’
- ‘Activities include chess, gymnastics, art, athletics, rugby, choir, basketball, badminton, soccer, tennis, draughts and many more.’
- ‘They say that chess is a really intellectual game, but draughts isn't its poor relation.’
- ‘Young members of Spa GAA Club are proving to be a dab hand at the age-old game of draughts.’
- ‘All groups were involved in a wide range of sport and physical activities including soccer, hurling, draughts, dance and movement therapy and the European and World Senior Games.’
- ‘The games to be featured at the event are football, volleyball, chess, netball, basketball, table tennis, lawn tennis, squash, pool, scrabble, darts, judo, karate, a marathon run and draughts.’
- ‘I taught them the game of draughts for which they show no aptitude.’
- ‘Tim's particular interest was the game of draughts.’
- ‘The team event section of the Games was held within various venues in Newbridge, Co. Kildare, with volleyball, GAA, soccer, basketball, pitch and putt, choir and draughts all on the agenda.’
- ‘Of course there nothing stopping mum and dad enjoying the challenge of draughts, snakes and ladders or constructing a Duplo design.’
- ‘This is the Community Games main fundraiser and you are asked to support… The teams are now picked for badminton, basketball, chess, indoor soccer, draughts and table tennis.’
- ‘Games that do actually use skills of analysis include draughts and whist.’
- ‘This game is superior in complexity to English draughts by virtue of the fact that it is played on a board ten squares by ten squares and that capturing moves have an extended scope.’
- ‘The Pub Challenge uses traditional and popular pub games such as darts, dominoes, draughts and Connect Four, and its organisers Pubmaster say it aims to promote a community spirit in its hostelries.’
- ‘To be less abstract, let us suppose a game of draughts where the pieces are reduced to four kings, and where, of course, no oversight is to be expected.’
- ‘The game of draughts has a long history and texts books going back to the middle of the 18th century are still valid for the game today.’
- ‘Once they'd finished their game of draughts, Jude and Josie began a game of cards.’
Late Middle English: from draught; related to obsolete draught in the sense ‘move’ (in chess or any similar game); compare with French trait, from Latin tractus ‘a dragging’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.