One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who writes plays; a playwright.
dramatist, writer, tragedianView synonyms
- ‘She was resident dramaturgist for their theater program.’
- ‘It was an essential task of the dramaturgist to arrange and synthesize many conflicting events or legends into a sequential plot.’
- ‘Dramaturgists begin with Shakespeare's phrase, "All the world's a stage, and we are all players."’
- ‘When a new theatre had been established at Bergen, Ibsen was appointed dramaturgist and dramatic poet.’
- ‘It is not only the formal, but also the processual and transitory elements of human situations that preoccupy the dramaturgists.’
Early 19th century: formed as dramaturge + -ist.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.