Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tube, usually of clear flexible plastic with lateral perforations, for draining a wound, abscess, etc.
- ‘If the condition does not respond to medical treatment, incision of the eardrum, removal of the fluid by suction and insertion of a drainage tube is required.’
- ‘A drainage tube is inserted, connecting the anterior chamber of the eye with a reservoir in the posterior orbit.’
- ‘There will be a drainage tube in each side of your lower tummy to drain any blood or watery liquid that collects from the operation site. These drains are usually removed a few days after surgery.’
- ‘A negative pressure or suction force is then applied across the wound via a drainage tube embedded in the foam.’
- ‘A man with an intracerebral drainage tube and an intravenous cannula died after he had been given penicillin intracerebrally rather than intravenously as prescribed.’
- ‘The specialist will provide a new drainage exit from the middle ear by inserting a tiny plastic drainage tube called a grommet into the eardrum.’
- ‘Generally they go home with a small drainage tube and are seen back in the office or clinic within a week to have the drain removed.’
- ‘He is in the bed alongside Amar and also has a drainage tube.’
- ‘The allograft is cut and shaped to a desired size and is sutured in place over the drainage tube to prevent the tube from eroding into the conjunctiva.’
- ‘A paraesophageal transdiaphragmatic drainage tube was placed.’
- ‘Women usually go home with a drainage tube under the arm.’
- ‘This is because when the drainage tube is blocked, the air in the middle ear is absorbed into the blood in the middle-ear lining.’
- ‘Another complication is erosion of the drainage tube, which is limited by placement of the pericardial graft.’
- ‘A 23-g needle is used to pierce the limbus to create an opening through which the drainage tube is passed into the anterior chamber.’
- ‘To make matters worse, just three days after the appendix operation, I had to undergo another surgery due to a broken drainage tube.’
- ‘The glaucoma drainage device is a silicone device with a drainage tube and a hole-filled plate that fits the normal curvature of the eye.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.