Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fast-flying long-bodied predatory insect with two pairs of large transparent wings which are spread out sideways at rest. The voracious aquatic larvae take up to five years to reach adulthood.Compare with damselfly
- ‘The Odonata, the order to which damselflies and dragonflies belong, play a very important ecological and economic role for human beings.’
- ‘However, for this little creature there are so many things to be learnt: is it a dragonfly or a damselfly?’
- ‘Watch a kite sweep the skies for large insects such as grasshoppers, cicadas and dragonflies.’
- ‘Learn about dragonflies and damselflies as part of Bromley's Wetland Campaign.’
- ‘A pond is a little world in itself, he says, home to a dizzying array of creatures from frogs and newts to water boatmen, diving beetles, dragonflies and damselflies.’
- ‘Thrushes, ladybirds, dragonflies, spiders and hoverfly larvae will snack on aphids, snails and other pests, saving you time, work and money.’
- ‘How can some dragonflies and caddis flies live in salt lakes but not in the sea?’
- ‘If George Barris, king of custom hot rods, designed insects, he would've come up with dragonflies and damselflies.’
- ‘To get the details, a field team has been fitting green darner dragonflies with radio transmitters.’
- ‘Apart from their intrinsic and aesthetic value, dragonflies and damselflies are now recognised as indicators of riverine integrity.’
- ‘Female species of dragonflies and damselflies will allow males to mate with them only when they see that he has a suitable egg-laying territory.’
- ‘Then, the dragonflies and damselflies will move in.’
- ‘While both dragonflies and damselflies belong to the Odonata and share many common features, then are a number of noticeable differences as well.’
- ‘Encourage natural predators such as dragonflies or praying mantises.’
- ‘A woodchat's prey is mainly insects, beetles, damsel flies, dragonflies, grasshoppers, wasps and bees.’
- ‘I remember the dragonflies, damselflies and other insects, their colours iridescent in the bright sun.’
- ‘Hunts birds and large insects, especially dragonflies (eats insects on the wing).’
- ‘In addition, the park is buzzing with insect life and is regionally important for the high numbers of dragonflies and damselflies.’
- ‘For example he informs us that the Blue-cheeked bee-eater actually eats more dragonflies and damselflies than anything else.’
- ‘The wings were held horizontally, as in dragonflies (Odonata, Anisoptera).’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.