Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1 Make (something) dirty or wet, typically by trailing it through mud or water.‘she wore a draggled skirt’
- ‘He would not creep about the country with moaning voice and melancholy eyes, with draggled dress and outward signs of wretchedness.’
- ‘The hair hung down, limp and draggled, or matted with dried blood where Hal's club had bruised him.’
- ‘She draggles her shawl.’
- ‘Even now I can smell the muskiness at the heart of the clustered grapes, the same darkness that inhabits the thicket in the park, hatches moth wings, hides muddles of draggled feathers as they disintegrate.’
- ‘The broad firm cheeks droop into a pouched flush as they sink downward into his draggled lace collar.’
- ‘His dark-gold hair, damp and draggled, hung into his eyes, which were dilated and sunk into violet pools; his blank beautiful face was grey and sweating, his entire frame racked with shivering.’
- ‘A draggled muslin cap on his head and a dirty gunny-sack about his slim hips proclaimed him cook of the decidedly dirty ship's galley in which I found myself.’
- ‘Small plants lay draggled on the floor, in a litter of branches and fallen leaves.’
- 1.1[no object]Hang untidily.‘red hairs draggled dispiritedly from her chignon’
- ‘Her fur was staring wet, draggled into points, and her tail was thick with black mud.’
- 1.2archaic [no object]Trail behind others; lag behind.‘they draggled at the heels of his troop’
- ‘With heavy hearts they draggled at the heels of his troop, as they marched down to the river-side to embark.’
Early 16th century: diminutive and frequentative of drag.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.