Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fishing boat that uses a dragnet.
- ‘At the beginning of September, the migrants begin passing through, bound for their northern homes - big yachts back to Oregon or Puget Sound, squid boats and draggers up to Sitka.’
- ‘Surely one ought to think twice before allowing those same draggers that decimated the cod and its habitat to once again wreak their havoc on the ocean floor and all the species they come in contact with.’
- ‘There is concern over the future of five FPI draggers based in Riverport.’
- ‘I'd worked with lobster and scallop boats, a dragger for one very scary November day in Perfect Storm country.’
- ‘‘There are a couple draggers that still fish from here,’ he says, ‘but they just land their catch and it's immediately trucked out.’’
- ‘The next afternoon, the boats line up on Newport's Yaquina Bay: trollers and crabbers, long-liners and shrimpers, draggers, charters, and pleasure craft.’
- ‘After our presentation and many others, a representative of a draggers ' association delivered a heated stream of negative comments.’
- ‘‘Fish stocks are being depleted and corals and sponges and all fish habitat is being destroyed each day by draggers,’' a spokesman for the centre, said in a news release.’
- ‘Just slowing down is not always the best thing they can do for the fellows in the kayaks or the sunfish or the tender old draggers.’
- ‘DFO's decision to reopen George's Bank, an important fishing ground in Atlantic Canada, to dragger boats, without first conducting an environmental assessment, spurred the EAC to take legal action in 2001.’
- ‘Until the moratorium took effect, draggers took a few in Long Island Sound.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.