One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fenced passage in a stockyard along which animals are driven prior to being sorted at the drafting gate.‘the new sheep yard has a curved three-way drafting race’
- ‘Scales for weighing cattle are kept towards the end of the drafting race.’
- ‘Sheep are pushed into a drafting race, which is the width of two or three sheep and narrows in the last three metres to the width of one sheep.’
- ‘The inside measurement between the boards in the sheep drafting race is 425 millimetres.’
- ‘Use dressed or gauged timber rather than rough-sawn in the sheep drafting race.’
- ‘A well-designed drafting race makes life a lot easier for a lone operator.’
- ‘Initially, sheep yards had a rectangular layout, with the drafting race in the middle of the complex.’
- ‘The drafting race is where sheep are drenched with an anthelmintic to kill internal parasites, and treated with a pour-on dip to kill external parasites.’
- ‘Many yards have some cover, at least over the drafting race, to shade workers and stock.’
- ‘The drafting race is mainly a working area where calves are earmarked, tagged, and castrated.’
- ‘Make the gate high enough to deter cattle from trying to jump into the sheep drafting race.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.