One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who has avoided compulsory military service.
- ‘He himself was a draft dodger who came to Canada to avoid the Vietnam War.’
- ‘Ali was also considered by many to be a draft dodger.’
- ‘Was the current commander-in-chief a draft dodger?’
- ‘Last but not least, there is the experience of the Vietnam War, when tens of thousands of US draft dodgers and deserters found asylum in Canada.’
- ‘On Earth violent criminals and draft dodgers weren't the only kinds of people that ended up here.’
- ‘Here he is with Hanoi Jane, in the front lines with the flag burners and draft dodgers.’
- ‘He is a draft dodger who was often AWOL.’
- ‘Canada benefitted greatly from the influx of draft dodgers during the Vietnam debacle.’
- ‘They are following in the footsteps of tens of thousands of military deserters and draft dodgers who went to Canada during the Vietnam War.’
- ‘Yes, we had slackers, draft dodgers and antiwar advocates, but they got short shrift, little attention and almost no press.’
- ‘Officials have said he is a draft dodger.’
- ‘A policeman and a draft board employee scour their district for draft dodgers, who utilize all possible means to avoid military service.’
- ‘As a Quaker, the American was jailed during the Vietnam War for flying draft dodgers to Canada and Mexico.’
- ‘For the first time in his country's history a draft dodger could get a girlfriend, he explained.’
- ‘You claim that Rush Limbaugh is a draft dodger who avoided Vietnam because he had a ‘pimple on his rear.’’
- ‘The discontent spread to the army from which deserters joined draft dodgers in gangs that attacked government supply trains and raided plantations.’
- ‘There is only one group that likes the idea of conscription less than future draft dodgers: the military.’
- ‘There's worse things you can be than a draft dodger.’
- ‘I found it very interesting that in essence he admitted to being a draft dodger…’
- ‘Well I mean, first of all during the Vietnam War, Canada accepted draft dodgers but also deserters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.