One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘I got the underpainting done today, experiencing the old feeling that a nice fresh drawing was being submerged in a more or less monotone drabness.’
- ‘The secret: excellent raw materials and handicraft skills that have somehow survived decades of war and years of egalitarian drabness.’
- ‘From the first strains of funky double bass, they manage to transport the cold and harassed shoppers around them from the local drabness to a world where the sun shines and the living is easy.’
- ‘The contrast between the plain exterior and the immensely rich interior is like a sharp blow: perhaps an intended device to remind us of the drabness of the outer life and the vibrant richness of the inner life?’
- ‘Moreover, ways must be found to create communal urban space capable of mitigating the drabness and dreariness of most public housing developments.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.