Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A broad-spectrum antibiotic of the tetracycline group, which has a long half-life in the body.
- ‘Tetracycline, doxycycline, or sulfamethoxazole taken on a daily basis may reduce the risk of plague.’
- ‘Antibiotic treatment for 3-4 weeks with doxycycline or amoxicillin is generally effective in early disease.’
- ‘Oral antibiotics used for the treatment of acne include tetracycline, doxycycline, minocycline, and erythromycin.’
- ‘Eight trials were included in the analysis, and three antibiotics were studied: erythromycin, doxycycline and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole.’
- ‘Treatment with doxycycline or tetracycline is indicated for Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, and relapsing fever.’
- ‘That a common antibiotic, doxycycline, used to treat malaria, acne, and other infections could cause increased intracranial pressure is not a recent revelation.’
- ‘At the onset of symptoms, most patients will be treated empirically with tetracycline, doxycycline, or chloramphenicol to cover for other tick-borne diseases.’
- ‘The gene was tuned off by simply feeding mice the antibiotic doxycycline.’
- ‘Treatment is usually with the antibiotics doxycycline, erythromycin or azithromycin.’
- ‘Penicillin, tetracycline and doxycycline are all equally as good against anthrax as is Cipro.’
- ‘Unless cervical screening for chlamydia has been performed, prophylactic antibiotics such as doxycycline and metronidazole should be given to minimise the risk of infection developing after the procedure.’
- ‘More importantly members of tetracycline family (tetracycline, oxytetracycline, doxycycline, and minocycline) were found to be effective against worms.’
- ‘Treat chlamydia with oral tetracycline, doxycycline, or erythromycin for 2 weeks.’
- ‘Rare but serious side effects are more common in patients taking minocycline than in patients treated with tetracycline or doxycycline.’
- ‘The anti-malarial antibiotic doxycycline - which most of us are taking - has the unfortunate side effect of making our skins hypersensitive to the sun.’
- ‘Antibiotics of choice might include ciprofloxacin, doxycycline, gentamycin, or streptomycin.’
- ‘Tetracyclines such as doxycycline are helpful in milder illnesses.’
- ‘Agents such as tetracycline, doxycycline or erythromycin are reasonable choices.’
- ‘Even when they suspect mycoplasma infection, the standard course of treatment is usually in the form of antibiotics such as tetracycline or doxycycline, for several months.’
- ‘Treatment of early localized Lyme disease typically involves a course of the oral antibiotics doxycycline or amoxicillin administered for 3 to 4 weeks.’
1960s: from d(e)oxy- + tetracycline.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.