Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A bacterial antibiotic that is widely used to treat leukaemia and various other forms of cancer.
- ‘In this case, the patient had lymphoma and was treated with a single course of chemotherapy (cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone).’
- ‘Most standard protocols use doxorubicin and cisplatin, with or without high-dose methotrexate, for both induction and adjuvant chemotherapy.’
- ‘Prostate cancer cells were treated with silibinin and doxorubicin, either alone or in combination, and cell growth was determined by manual cell counting.’
- ‘Adjuvant therapy, multidrug chemotherapy was carried out with methotrexate, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone.’
- ‘The patient is currently undergoing further evaluation for chemotherapy with cyclophosphamide, vincristine, doxorubicin and prednisone.’
- ‘The patient was treated with cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone chemotherapy starting in August 1998.’
- ‘Cytotoxic antibiotics, such as doxorubicin, stick to DNA causing it to become tangled and preventing the cell from dividing.’
- ‘The patient was treated with adjuvant chemotherapy consisting of doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide for 4 cycles; she handled the treatment well.’
- ‘The patient completed 4 cycles of combination chemotherapy consisting of cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine sulfate, and prednisone.’
- ‘The patient was started on chemotherapy with cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and dacarbazine administered as a continuous 7-day infusion, repeating every 21 days.’
- ‘Specifically, liposomal doxorubicin is being used to treat certain forms of cancer, while liposomal amphotericin B treats fungal infections often associated with aggressive anticancer treatments.’
- ‘Chemotherapy usually consists of a combination of agents, such as hexamethylmelamine, doxorubicin, cisplatin, carboplatin, and paclitaxel.’
- ‘She was then placed on an investigational chemotherapeutic protocol, which involved a nine course of sequential high dose doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide.’
- ‘Trials have demonstrated threshold dose effects for two of the most active chemotherapeutic agents, doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide.’
- ‘He received treatment with multiagent chemotherapy that consisted of vincristine, doxorubicin, cyclophosphamide, and prednisone.’
- ‘Human lung-cancer cells were treated with the chemotherapeutic agent doxorubicin, which causes cellular DNA damage.’
- ‘Combined chemotherapy, including cyclophosphamide, vincristine, doxorubicin, and prednisolone, was performed on the basis of clinical diagnosis as a lymphoma relapse.’
- ‘For the study, 101 participants were treated with doxorubicin alone.’
- ‘Leukemia lines resistant to either doxorubicin, vincristine, methotrexate, or hydroxyurea were tested.’
- ‘Cancer drugs used for primary bone cancer include methotrexate, doxorubicin, and cisplatin.’
1970s: from deoxy- (in the sense ‘that has lost oxygen’) + Latin rubus red + -mycin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.