One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to an individual's beliefs.‘doxastic worlds’
- ‘A third common line of objection to doxastic theories is that we may sometimes base beliefs on reasons of which we are unaware.’
- ‘Doxastic logic is a modal logic that is concerned with reasoning about beliefs.’
- ‘Collective entities are obviously ‘social’ in an important way; and if it is granted that such entities are bearers of beliefs and other doxastic states, shouldn't these collective states be an important target for social epistemology?’
- ‘In general, doxastic, metaphysical, modal, semantic, or syntactic expressions are not epistemic.’
- ‘But the two kinds of doubt invoke quite different doxastic attitudes.’
- ‘Furthermore, also doxastic collective intentionality can in some cases perform the task of institution-maintenance and in some cases even the task of institution creation.’
- ‘No matter how self-evidently correct or right-headed the project may appear, epistemic propriety demands that doxastic commitment be delayed, one way or another, until there is data.’
- ‘And for science to produce a hypothesis (which is itself a doxastic state) that claims that doxastic states don't exist would be illogical and self-defeating.’
- ‘According to doxastic voluntarism, believing and disbelieving are choices that are up to us to make.’
- ‘As we saw, Goldman is skeptical about the prospects of identifying and adequately formulating regulative doxastic principles.’
Late 18th century: from Greek doxastikos ‘conjectural’, from doxazein ‘to conjecture’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.