One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in South Asia) the murder or suicide of a married woman caused by a dispute over her dowry.
- ‘He is pained by every report of dowry death in newspapers wherever he is located and feels that his mission is incomplete.’
- ‘It is well recognised that in crimes such as rape, molestation, dowry deaths, kidnapping and so on, victims would be more forthcoming if questioned by women police.’
- ‘Whether it is honour killings, dowry deaths or defacement, the motivation is identical - the desire to assert power, full control, over another person.’
- ‘There were 512 dowry deaths in 23 cities across India in 2000.’
- ‘We talk of the numbers of victims - so many rapes per day, so many dowry deaths in a year, so many cases of female infanticide, instead of citing statistics about the perpetrators of these crimes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.