Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Mildew on a plant which is marked by a whitish down composed of spore-forming hyphae, penetrating more deeply into the plant than powdery mildew.
- ‘Although we emphasize the use of fungicides for downy mildew control after bloom, early season fungicide applications appear to provide some level of control later in the season.’
- ‘So it's very good news that scientists have found genetic markers that easily identify broccoli varieties with natural resistance to downy mildew.’
- ‘We've all seen rose leaves with black spot or downy mildew.’
- ‘Another kind of mildew, downy mildew, causes round, dark purple spots with yellow edges.’
- ‘On cultivars highly susceptible to downy mildew and powdery mildew, some post harvest application may be required to protect foliage and prevent premature defoliation.’
- ‘The more common ones are powdery mildew, blackspot, downy mildew and rust.’
- ‘A site that provides for maximum air drainage which promotes faster drying of foliage can substantially reduce the risk of black rot and downy mildew.’
- ‘Climatic conditions are conducive to the development of several major grape diseases, including: black rot, downy mildew and powdery mildew.’
- ‘Both powdery mildew and downy mildew often infect squash plants as autumn nights grow cooler and dew keeps the foliage moist through the night.’
- ‘Chocolate spot rust and downy mildew have all increased in winter beans during the last week.’
- ‘They showed me some downy mildew in the two year-old vines, and explained that they were trying to decide whether or not to treat it with phosphorous acid.’
- ‘Crazy top or downy mildew also was reported in a few fields in central Kansas.’
- ‘Common onion diseases include damping off, botrytis leaf blight, downy mildew, and bacterial blight.’
- ‘While there is an absence of greenfly, it's a bad year for downy mildew in Ireland and my roses are also afflicted with black spot and rust, these three being the most serious diseases roses are prone to.’
- ‘Roses are also likely to require the use of fungicidal sprays to rid them of diseases such as downy mildew.’
- ‘Eastern growers must also contend with humidity-loving black rot, botrytis, downy mildew, and phomopsis.’
- ‘This is in contrast to most other grape pathogens, such as black rot and downy mildew, that require free water on the plant surface before the spores can germinate and infect.’
- ‘Before the accidental introduction of this disease, farmers spent considerable amounts to control another fungal disease, downy mildew.’
- ‘However, if copper is applied for downy mildew control, it will provide some protection against powdery mildew.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.