One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A skier or cyclist who takes part in downhill races.
- ‘If you're a downhiller, you could do a lot worse.’
- ‘Many of the top racers were also there, notably the Austrian downhillers hunting qualifying points for a place on their over-subscribed team for the following season.’
- ‘Unless it's a pro-level downhiller, it's much rarer for me to get a suspension tuning order from a pure cyclist.’
- ‘There's excellent cross-country skiing and snowshoeing just out the door; for downhillers, Kirkwood Mountain Resort is a 25-minute drive away.’
- ‘There were no surprises in the team, but it was good to see my fellow downhiller Roger in there.’
- ‘And as downhillers know, steering originates from the seat as well as the handlebars; the long profile of the Berserkr allows subtle input to your direction.’
- ‘You'll see it all from baggy shorted BMX grommies to super-light, Lycra-encased, cross-country man-machines, to fully-armored downhillers with bikes that look like motorcycles and weigh almost as much.’
- ‘This became more pronounced last night when the downhillers took their bow.’
- ‘But the amazing mountain scenery and death-defying speed of the downhillers kept viewers hooked on a wet and cold Sunday afternoon.’
- ‘Watching the top downhillers, you are struck by their size: they tend to be big, muscular and solid.’
- ‘Some downhillers tend to do that because that's the nature of the sport.’
- ‘In March 2001 he started 33rd in a field of 63 downhillers at the U.S. Alpine Championships.’
- ‘The very successful downhillers manage to simply deny (to themselves) that such a thing could happen.’
- ‘The poor downhillers don't know what they're missing.’
- ‘Hey, we're cross country skiers, not downhillers.’
- ‘The Japanese downhiller crashed yesterday after losing control of her bike as she hit a jump during practice.’
- ‘Local downhillers head for Powderhorn Ski Area, a small, family-oriented resort for skiers and snowboarders.’
- ‘If you aspire to ski like a downhiller, get a brain bucket to match.’
- ‘The problem was that she didn't feel like a downhiller.’
- ‘His stretch regimen consists of slope-specific variations on three standard yoga poses that loosen and strengthen the key muscle groups used by downhillers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.