One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(in sport) in or to a position nearer to the opponents' end of a field.
- ‘He passed me the ball, and I took it downfield before being cut off by second-string defense player Oliver.’
- ‘A few minutes later, Gloucester launch a huge kick downfield.’
- ‘They're taking calculated shots downfield and guys are making plays.’
- ‘The final pass was intercepted and swept downfield for him to apply the finish, a chance at one end, a goal at the other within seconds.’
- ‘It was a lateral that was supposed to set up a pass downfield.’
In a direction corresponding to decreasing field strength.
- ‘The center of the proton multiplet is about 0.12 ppm downfield from the center of the terminal proton multiplet in diborane.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.