Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1North Americananother term for upfield
- ‘A few minutes later, Gloucester launch a huge kick downfield.’
- ‘They're taking calculated shots downfield and guys are making plays.’
- ‘It was a lateral that was supposed to set up a pass downfield.’
- ‘The final pass was intercepted and swept downfield for him to apply the finish, a chance at one end, a goal at the other within seconds.’
- ‘He passed me the ball, and I took it downfield before being cut off by second-string defense player Oliver.’
In a direction corresponding to decreasing field strength.
- ‘The center of the proton multiplet is about 0.12 ppm downfield from the center of the terminal proton multiplet in diborane.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.