Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
In or to Australia or New Zealand.‘take a flight down under in September’
- ‘Chris has an extra incentive while down under, as when he gets back he hopes to sign professional terms with Warrington Wolves.’
- ‘Eighteen months ago, Wales were physically hammered, and on the scoreboard, when they toured down under.’
- ‘In Australia, autumn is May, winter July, and this can sometimes confuse visitors down under.’
- ‘Scottish twins the Proclaimers are on a world tour and they dropped in down under to tell Alex Bernard the true meaning of lifedrink!’
- ‘The fact that he was chosen at centre fort Ireland's opening match down under highlights his all-round ability.’
- ‘The photo was one of a St. Patrick's Day parade in far off Sydney, down under.’
- ‘It was a pathetic excuse for dropping the Munster master that he would not be around for the World Cup in 2003 down under.’
- ‘A minor again this year he was one of the stars on the Irish team down under and won the man of the match award in the final test against the Aussies.’
- ‘What other decent Sci Fi has been made down under then?’
- ‘Now we have the ‘threat’ of Laura trying her hand in a mens' golf tournament down under.’
- ‘Ballina woman, Phyllis Donnelly, now living in Mullingar, was on holiday down under when she saw the signpost.’
- ‘I see no future in this game other than a free trip down under every few years for the lucky ones that are picked plus all the hangers-on.’
- ‘Those who are serious about starting a new life down under in Australia have a number of ways they can apply for residency.’
- ‘I was intrigued as to why my ancestors were living down under.’
- ‘His uneven Cassius Clay impersonation just isn't working down under.’
- ‘Have I been deported down under to Australia where for some reason they start the Christmas preparations in August?’
- ‘Last year more than a million-and-a-half people took part in whale watching tours down under.’
- ‘However, attempts to retain multi-award winner Krause have failed, with the Aussie now set to return down under.’
- ‘The manufacturer's main man down under says a lot of the big car companies are examining the technology.’
- ‘He admits he loves life down under too much to return to these shores and recently declined the offer of Christmas on the beach because the sand was too hot!’
Australia and New Zealand.‘a girl from down under’
- ‘A couple years ago this band from down under played the Edmonton Folk Music Festival and stole our hearts.’
- ‘She, too, will reappear - on videophone from down under - in the show's dying hours.’
Late 19th century: with reference to the position of these countries on a globe.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.