One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
To or in the south of a country.‘he has a lovely home down south’
- ‘I'm not sure what happened to them but they went everywhere with me, even across the border down south.’
- ‘He was accepted, but then we found out we were moving down south.’
- ‘There was a 7.1 earthquake down south last week, and a quick sharp jolt here on Saturday night.’
- ‘A waiting list has already been drawn up, with interest coming from down south as well as other parts of the Yorkshire region.’
- ‘We have also had a lot of business from down south and some international work, and our cost base is certainly better than anyone in London.’
- ‘I think I might become one of those odious Queenslanders who defect down south!’
- ‘After a decade of separation he has been reunited with his children, Mark and Karen, and plans to move down south to live near them.’
- ‘We are beginning to see some innovation in education down south, although whether that is a good or bad thing is still to be determined.’
- ‘My husband is in the process of sailing a 42 foot yacht up to Scotland from down south, so the summer will be spent on the west coast.’
- ‘The restructuring will result in 90 new jobs in Fife although there will be 200 job losses down south.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.