One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Nothing distracts from the swell and shimmer of the sleek blue surface that slinks enticingly through the gloom and dourness of the city.’
- ‘Deconstructive dourness never stays put, however, so of course the deconstructive acid seeped over from museum practices to high art itself.’
- ‘Brady's carefully-cultivated air of dismissive dourness offset Giles' sombre demeanour perfectly, as it usually does.’
- ‘The brooding dourness of the scene hasn't just disregarded dancing, though, as many of the major players in the game focus on abstraction to the extent that visceral reaction of any sort is out of the question.’
- ‘Combining dourness and humour, sentimentality and hard-headedness, arrogance and tolerance, every situation is redeemed by laughter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.