One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Brave and persistent.‘his doughty spirit kept him going’
fearless, dauntless, determined, resolute, indomitable, intrepid, plucky, spirited, game, mettlesome, gritty, steely, confident, undaunted, undismayed, unalarmed, unflinching, unshrinking, unabashed, unfaltering, unflagging, bold, audacious, valiant, brave, stout-hearted, lionhearted, gallant, courageous, heroic, daring, daredevilView synonyms
- ‘But it's been put back together with doughty resolution, notably up on the volcanic bump of the old town.’
- ‘London metropolitan types also think I possess a kind of doughty flinty independent spirit which they wish they had so they too could flee the bars of Charlotte Street and the watering holes of Soho.’
- ‘In Britain, the doughty, campaigning spirit of Greenham Common and Faslane has yet to be heard.’
- ‘Then along came a doughty and persistent conservationist who fought to save the city's history: just what the doctor ordered.’
- ‘This way, the organization could live up to its self-professed image: the doughty defenders of brave iconoclasts bucking the establishment.’
Late Old English dohtig, variant of dyhtig, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch duchtig and German tüchtig.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.