One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small fried cake of sweetened dough, typically in the shape of a ball or ring.
- ‘The assortment of homemade pastries is astonishing, ranging from simple cream-filled butter doughnuts to curry-beef buns.’
- ‘These little brioche doughnuts are filled with a chocolate ganache, which melts in the centre and oozes out as you bite into them.’
- ‘Why do ring doughnuts only come with icing sugar on these days?’
- ‘The only foods that you need to avoid are the ones that have no redeeming value, just empty calories - such as doughnuts and onion rings.’
- ‘If the menu doesn't say you're getting a cake doughnut, assume it's made with yeast.’
- ‘We came down the back stairs and went over to the breakfast bar where there were doughnuts, English Muffins, coffee, milk, and tea.’
- ‘There was ice cream, Jello, cream puffs, pies, doughnuts, coconut cake.’
- ‘It was between pistachio semi-freddo with chocolate ganache and Italian donuts.’
- ‘Officers found 22 items of food on display past the use-by date, which included bacon, orange juice, doughnuts, fruitcake and caramel deserts.’
- ‘Members of the 24th Squadron brought cakes, doughnuts and jelly for the pupils.’
- ‘For dessert, give in to cliches: Order chocolate cake or donuts.’
- ‘Studies show that white-flour foods like cakes, cookies and doughnuts are the fourth largest source of saturated fats in our diets.’
- ‘Neighbors hosted two events, one with coffee and doughnuts and another with desserts.’
- ‘That turned out to be the start of an afternoon of stodgy chocolate cake, sugary donuts and a bag of free pastries from the coffee shop where they're getting to know our order before we even give it.’
- ‘For simple fare, try sugar cookies, doughnuts, muffins or coffee cake with coffee and cocoa or hot spiced cider.’
- ‘The menu mentioned toasted teacakes, scones, doughnuts, Danish pastries and flapjack.’
- ‘Do not buy anything - candy, chips, doughnuts, Pop-Tarts, cookies or soda from a vending machine.’
- ‘A signature dessert is coffee and doughnuts, only the coffee cup and spoon are made of chocolate and the doughnuts are tiny and sublime.’
- ‘There's a place called the Donut Pub on West 23rd that makes confection and cake donuts.’
- ‘Cake, doughnuts and chocolate are the favourite snacks of many workers, with just seven per cent preferring healthy options such as fruit.’
- 1.1 A ring-shaped object, in particular a vacuum chamber in some types of particle accelerator.
- ‘Joining the remaining pair of sides turns the cylinder into a doughnut, or torus (right).’
- ‘One unusual machine shoots a donut of compressed air.’
- ‘The sides of the magnetic donuts also were draped, allowing the neurosurgeon to work within a sterile field.’
- ‘So what are those stunted metal tube donuts called ball bearings for anyway?’
- ‘The whirring and spinning of the laser mechanism within the donut gives the impression of being inside a washing machine.’
- ‘It is endlessly turning upon itself, a torus, a doughnut, spinning on the axis of the circular cylinder that is the doughnut.’
- ‘This cannot be done round a doughnut, however, because the rubber band would reach the stage where it is constricted round the ring of the doughnut and cannot shrink any further.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.