One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small fried cake of sweetened dough, typically in the shape of a ball or ring.
- ‘We came down the back stairs and went over to the breakfast bar where there were doughnuts, English Muffins, coffee, milk, and tea.’
- ‘Officers found 22 items of food on display past the use-by date, which included bacon, orange juice, doughnuts, fruitcake and caramel deserts.’
- ‘Cake, doughnuts and chocolate are the favourite snacks of many workers, with just seven per cent preferring healthy options such as fruit.’
- ‘It was between pistachio semi-freddo with chocolate ganache and Italian donuts.’
- ‘These little brioche doughnuts are filled with a chocolate ganache, which melts in the centre and oozes out as you bite into them.’
- ‘Why do ring doughnuts only come with icing sugar on these days?’
- ‘For simple fare, try sugar cookies, doughnuts, muffins or coffee cake with coffee and cocoa or hot spiced cider.’
- ‘If the menu doesn't say you're getting a cake doughnut, assume it's made with yeast.’
- ‘Neighbors hosted two events, one with coffee and doughnuts and another with desserts.’
- ‘That turned out to be the start of an afternoon of stodgy chocolate cake, sugary donuts and a bag of free pastries from the coffee shop where they're getting to know our order before we even give it.’
- ‘The assortment of homemade pastries is astonishing, ranging from simple cream-filled butter doughnuts to curry-beef buns.’
- ‘The menu mentioned toasted teacakes, scones, doughnuts, Danish pastries and flapjack.’
- ‘There's a place called the Donut Pub on West 23rd that makes confection and cake donuts.’
- ‘The only foods that you need to avoid are the ones that have no redeeming value, just empty calories - such as doughnuts and onion rings.’
- ‘For dessert, give in to cliches: Order chocolate cake or donuts.’
- ‘A signature dessert is coffee and doughnuts, only the coffee cup and spoon are made of chocolate and the doughnuts are tiny and sublime.’
- ‘Do not buy anything - candy, chips, doughnuts, Pop-Tarts, cookies or soda from a vending machine.’
- ‘Members of the 24th Squadron brought cakes, doughnuts and jelly for the pupils.’
- ‘Studies show that white-flour foods like cakes, cookies and doughnuts are the fourth largest source of saturated fats in our diets.’
- ‘There was ice cream, Jello, cream puffs, pies, doughnuts, coconut cake.’
- 1.1 A ring-shaped object, in particular a vacuum chamber in some types of particle accelerator.
- ‘The whirring and spinning of the laser mechanism within the donut gives the impression of being inside a washing machine.’
- ‘So what are those stunted metal tube donuts called ball bearings for anyway?’
- ‘This cannot be done round a doughnut, however, because the rubber band would reach the stage where it is constricted round the ring of the doughnut and cannot shrink any further.’
- ‘Joining the remaining pair of sides turns the cylinder into a doughnut, or torus (right).’
- ‘It is endlessly turning upon itself, a torus, a doughnut, spinning on the axis of the circular cylinder that is the doughnut.’
- ‘One unusual machine shoots a donut of compressed air.’
- ‘The sides of the magnetic donuts also were draped, allowing the neurosurgeon to work within a sterile field.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.