One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small syringe for douching the vagina, especially as a contraceptive measure.
2North American informal An obnoxious or contemptible person, typically a man.
- ‘The guy is a huge douche bag.’
- ‘Okay - this cab driver is either a total douche bag or hasn't been driving as long as he says or both.’
- ‘Who is the douche bag pasting up those goddamn ‘OBEY’ posters in our fair city?’
- ‘These are your typical nouveau riche douche bags bellyaching about how their ritzy lives as actresses, models, investment bankers, and hotshot video directors just don't fulfill their inner child.’
- ‘But that douchebag Ron wasn't returning any of my phone calls.’
- ‘Some douche bag pilfers one of my drumsticks and then has the balls to ask me to sign it.’
- ‘Why do you date that douchebag?’
- ‘If that douche bag decided to think about the future instead of the present then none of this would be a problem.’
- ‘There are several posts this week on Missed Connections that I think amply back up my hypothesis that all men are douche bags.’
- ‘Actually, they just acted like douche bags.’
- ‘If you needed anymore evidence that this guy is a douchebag then there it is.’
- ‘‘Matt is the biggest douche bag in the world,’ Lily confirmed, shedding her coat and draping it over a chair.’
- ‘My daughter overheard and then called her brother a douchebag at which point a fight a broke out.’
- ‘Don't you know how she went crying to Noel because you're such a douche bag?’
- ‘The douche bags shot to stratospheric heights of superstardom, and I cringed every time I turned on Saturday Morning Live or Video Hits.’
- ‘Well, Bill, the resident douche bag and bully, tried to grab my clothes and flush them down the toilet.’
- ‘She used to be close friends with everyone in the band before they were famous, but even before they were big, she thought the lead singer was a douche bag.’
- ‘This illiterate douchebag just can't it through his thick head that he's in the wrong.’
- ‘He leaned in closer to her and whispered in her ear, ‘You could do so much better than that douche bag.’’
- ‘When I read posts like this, I really have to wonder, does this douchebag honestly think that this is going to work?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.