One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Expressing or feeling uncertainty or lack of conviction; sceptical.‘some doubting voices were raised over the price’‘people look at it through doubting eyes’
- ‘Then she trained to be a nurse so she could give herself a qualified opinion without having to refer to these doubting medical experts.’
- ‘The goal of this doubting process is to arrive at a list of beliefs that are certain and indubitably true.’
- ‘It tells the story of his religious education from comically pious child, to doubting teen, to trainee yogi in India, to sceptical religious affairs correspondent.’
- ‘Billy Elliot tells the story of a young boy and his desire to to become a ballet dancer and win over his doubting father.’
- ‘He expressed a willingness to continue to handle the district court appeals, but he was not ready for complete reconciliation with his doubting colleagues.’
- ‘Giamatti is the doubting loser, a divorced failed novelist who hates himself, as well as anyone who thinks success is achievable.’
- ‘Casting a doubting eye over seances, we might get involved with claims about life after death.’
- ‘The crux of the film is how this doubting pastor can convince a suicidal man that God is there, and will protect him.’
- ‘Like all anonymously sourced articles, this piece should be met with a barrage of doubting questions.’
- ‘Attacked and then haunted by an unbalanced loner, the doctor sets out on her solo trail of the killer, alienating herself from both the doubting police and her colleagues.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.