Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who questions or lacks faith in something; a sceptic.‘he had proved all his doubters wrong’
sceptic, doubting thomas, non-believer, unbeliever, disbeliever, cynic, scoffer, questioner, challenger, nihilist, dissenterirreligionist, atheist, non-theist, agnostic, freethinkerinfidel, pagan, heathenpaynimpyrrhonist, nullifidianView synonyms
- ‘The challenge now is to convert the doubters into believers.’
- ‘Now he will have to face the ambitious doubters in his party and deal with pointed questions about his leadership style.’
- ‘We have the determination to prove our doubters very wrong.’
- ‘Since then the pessimism has subsided and he hears less from the doubters telling him he made one huge mistake in leaving Liverpool.’
- ‘The coaching staff and players finally proved any early season doubters wrong about their ability to succeed this season.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.