One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The simultaneous perception of two images, usually overlapping, of a single scene or object.
- ‘The fact that I am sitting here trying to type whilst having double vision for the second night in a row is besides the point.’
- ‘This can lead to changes in eyesight including double vision as well as eye discomfort and watering.’
- ‘Within minutes, the young man developed general weakness, had difficulty breathing, and showed the classic neurotoxic symptoms of double vision, facial twitches, and an inability to swallow or talk.’
- ‘She reported that when she first saw him he had occasional double vision, mild photophobia and tenderness below the left eye.’
- ‘A famous eye surgeon who has treated rock stars and models has paid out more than £23,000 to a woman who said she had double vision after surgery at his clinic.’
- ‘That incident not only required emergency eye surgery, but several weeks in a darkened room, and several months with double vision before it spontaneously righted itself.’
- ‘Older drivers lose some of their depth perception and fatigue can lead to double vision in some people.’
- ‘Now, he says he feels ‘pretty much back to normal, bothered only by occasional bouts of double vision.’’
- ‘Apart from the major risks of infection, there are a significant number of people with dry eyes, double vision or who see halos around lights.’
- ‘Many adults with strabismus experience double vision or other visual symptoms.’
- ‘Because using both eyes in the presence of squint/refractive error would cause significant eye-strain and double vision, the brain ignores the image from the squinting eye, resulting in amblyopia.’
- ‘Dr. Holmes explained the problem as double vision.’
- ‘I had double vision for a while, so I was running around with one eye shut.’
- ‘Common symptoms are pain, an oppressive feeling behind the eye, a gritty sensation in the eye, double vision, and photophobia.’
- ‘When someone drinks between 12 and 13 units in one sitting the effect can lead to staggering, double vision and memory loss.’
- ‘The skipper tried to carry on but eventually wandered out of the action complaining about double vision.’
- ‘And the 40-year-old today admitted he would never be able to return to work as a stonemason as he now suffered from double vision.’
- ‘To avoid double vision, the brain only ‘sees’ images from the normal eye.’
- ‘I had double vision for two months and had to sit out the rest of the season.’
- ‘One American clinical trial suggested that as many as four out of 10 people who have the jabs can suffer side effects including headaches, nausea, double vision, bruising, drooping of the eyebrow or paralysis in the face.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.