Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The use of twice the usual number of bits to represent a number, giving greater arithmetic accuracy.as modifier ‘run on a computer in double-precision arithmetic’
- ‘All real variables in the program were declared as double precision.’
- ‘When writing software, this can be achieved by using statistical software or a programming language offering double precision rather than a spreadsheet, and by obtaining error estimates using the methods reviewed in this paper.’
- ‘The calculations were performed by a Fortran program with double precision.’
- ‘My binary math is a little rusty, but that limit seems to correspond to 32-bit double precision real arithmetic.’
- ‘The type is notorious because of its single precision overflow behavior, so most people end up using even when double precision is not required.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.