One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pneumonia affecting both lungs.
- ‘When I was five and a half, I got double pneumonia and whooping cough - in 1939, before penicillin was discovered - so I was put in the Willard Park Hospital for Children With Contagious Diseases.’
- ‘She said that last year when she was very ill with double pneumonia and lying in an intensive care unit, the only thing that kept her going was imagining the lake view from Holehird.’
- ‘She's had double pneumonia, a collapsed lung and nerve damage.’
- ‘The resultant character born of that period helped him survive the setback of a near-fatal bout with double pneumonia in 2000, just as he began his return to bodybuilding.’
- ‘She was fighting double pneumonia in hospital this week, her condition being described as ‘serious but stable’.’
- ‘At age 4, she contracted double pneumonia and scarlet fever simultaneously and almost died.’
- ‘Another formative experience was overcoming a near-fatal case of whooping cough and double pneumonia in New York's notorious Willard Parker Hospital for Children with Contagious Diseases.’
- ‘At the JG Strydom Hospital (now Helen Joseph Hospital) just around the corner, where the surviving children were taken, she was diagnosed with double pneumonia and concussion.’
- ‘The English custom of turning off the heat at night struck Mother as a conspiracy to give her double pneumonia.’
- ‘I got double pneumonia, which developed into ME.’
- ‘Just as I was recovering from these, I got tuberculosis, double pneumonia and phthisis.’
- ‘So it was quite a wrench to hear that he's been ill lately, hospitalized for a severe case of double pneumonia, plus a bacterial infection in his lungs and blood.’
- ‘This, combined with high temperatures caused by my adverse reaction to blood transfusions, had turned by mid February into high-grade or double pneumonia.’
- ‘It's a wonder we didn't all die from double pneumonia.’
- ‘She suffered polio, double pneumonia and scarlet fever, which rendered her left leg useless.’
- ‘I've caught double pneumonia and I was doing three movies, a commercial.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.