One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A grade of yarn of medium thickness, typically used in hand knitting.‘double knitting is mostly used for lace’
- ‘Donations of double knitting wool would be most appreciated for the crocheting of a blanket in aid of the Lalor Centre.’
- ‘Starting out in polyester double knits, Lorber built a plant just outside of Los Angeles in Gardena, CA, for polyester double knitting.’
- ‘We are always grateful to anyone who can donate any double knitting wool for this project.’
- ‘Would you please put out a plea this week for wool (double knitting or Arran) from readers, or from local wool shops who would be prepared to give us some free, so that the good work can continue.’
- ‘People are wonderful in bringing me wool and I prefer double knitting.’
Mid 19th century: double with reference to the ‘doubling’ of the yarn to four-ply.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.