One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1British informal Language that is impossible to understand; gibberish.‘instructions written in double Dutch’
- ‘A Chinese new year you might say, even if it does all sound like more than a little double Dutch.’
- ‘The rules are as follows: whoever leaves first is a twat, too stupid to realise that you're not a real moviegoer unless you stay for the credits, whether they be in Cantonese or double Dutch.’
- ‘From absentee ballots - voting by post - to xenophobia (fear of or hostility to foreigners), it provides simple explanations of terms that prove more double Dutch than simple English for many citizens.’
- ‘I think, to translate the double Dutch, that means they are concerned that we are not going to sell assets.’
- ‘To most readers these names are double Dutch, but don't ignore the trend.’
- ‘So are ya gonna tell us what all this double Dutch means or what?’
- ‘Drivers who fail the test are given a result sheet, which is little more than double Dutch.’
- ‘Hazel danced up to the viewing platform, forgetting she didn't have a mathematical mind, and that it would all be double Dutch to her.’
2North American A jumping game played with two skipping ropes swung in opposite directions so that they cross rhythmically.
- ‘The story, set in Cincinatti, Ohio, focuses on Delia and Randy, good friends who attend the same middle school and have a love for double Dutch.’
- ‘I used to jump double Dutch when I was your age.’
- ‘Jump rope champions show Martha their double Dutch techniques.’
- ‘The 50-year-old executive assistant is energized and invigorated by a weekly dose of double Dutch.’
- ‘It was a time when racial discrimination wasn't as subtle, when Motown music filled the air, when young girls jumped double Dutch, ate Squirrel Nuts and Brown Cow candies and washed down the sticky sweets with NEHI sodas.’
- ‘We were 8 or 9 at the time, and when not jumping double Dutch or playing beauty parlor, Valeria and I would spend hours on the stoop of my family's Brooklyn brownstone swapping elaborate stories about Larry.’
- ‘Learn double Dutch style and start a team.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.