One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chemical bond in which two pairs of electrons are shared between two atoms.
- ‘On activation, the silane double bonds react with the polymer matrix to create a highly crosslinked, load spreading structure.’
- ‘Fading occurs when any chemical process breaks the sequence of conjugated double bonds constituting the chromophore - the dye moiety that imparts colour.’
- ‘Conversely, unsaturated fatty acids have one or more double bonds between carbon atoms in their chains.’
- ‘Organic sulfates are esters and are formed by reacting an alcohol with cold sulfuric acid or by the reaction of sulfuric acid with a double bond in an alkene.’
- ‘Oxidation of an aldehyde breaks the double bond within the carbonyl group to give a carboxylic acid.’
- ‘In the nitro group, the central nitrogen atom is involved in both a double bond and a single bond.’
- ‘Like other hydrocarbons with double bonds, addition reactions can occur to change the double bonds to single bonds.’
- ‘The naming of geometrical isomers reflects the position of the atoms or groups on each of the carbon atoms in the double bond.’
- ‘They are typified by benzene, which contains six carbon atoms and three double bonds.’
- ‘The central carbon atom has a double bond with the oxygen.’
- ‘Fatty acids that contain double bonds between carbon atoms in their chain are termed unsaturated fatty acids.’
- ‘This is in contrast with most electrophilic additions to carboncarbon double bonds, and with nucleophilic substitutions at saturated carbon atoms.’
- ‘Ozone is a strong electrophilic reagent which can attack the double bond found in alkenes.’
- ‘The benzene molecule is a six-carbon ring with alternating single and double bonds between the carbon atoms.’
- ‘Researchers have begun to exploit conjugated polymers - repeating chains of organic molecules rich in double bonds between carbon atoms - in hopes of creating LEDs that can be molded like plastic and tuned easily from one color to another.’
- ‘The porphyrin ring is unsaturated, having alternating carbon-carbon single bonds and double bonds throughout the ring.’
- ‘Alkyl halides are produced by adding hydrogen halides across the double bonds.’
- ‘A double bond happens when two electrons are shared or exchanged in a bond.’
- ‘The difference between the two structures is the location of the double bond relative to the single bond.’
- ‘This free radical attacks the double bonds on other monomers creating a longer chain molecule and an additional free radical.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.