One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A train pulled by two locomotives coupled together.
- ‘I made the trip out to Portland to see this double-header.’
2North American A sporting event in which two games or contests are played in succession at the same venue, typically between the same teams or players.
- ‘This match also doubled as a parade of Scotland hopefuls ahead of the double-header against Croatia and Belgium next month.’
- ‘He drew five intentional passes in the second game of a meaningless 1929 double-header with the Phillies.’
- ‘The other half of the double-header pitted the Spurs against the Sonics.’
- ‘Though the game was scheduled as a double-header, as the game drew on it was clear that the second game would have to be rescheduled due to approaching darkness.’
- ‘To whet the appetite tomorrow is a modest double-header of jumping at Taunton and Ludlow and an all-weather Flat card at Lingfield.’
- ‘In a year of unprecedented drawn county football finals, both the junior and intermediate deciders ended all square at Fraher Field last Sunday, setting up a repeat double-header at the same venue on Sunday week.’
- ‘Bamberger made his major-league debut with the New York Giants on April 19, 1951, during a double-header against Boston.’
- ‘It was hard to know how many fans in attendance were there to see their game, the first of a double-header with the men.’
- ‘The protest was upheld and the game was replayed September 15 as part of a double-header with both teams splitting the twin bill.’
- ‘Three double-headers are scheduled for Kaohsiung and Tienmu over the weekend in order to make up for the time lost because of the rain.’
- ‘It will be the second time in less than a month that the Open racers have had a double-header at the Norfolk venue.’
- ‘Five days later, Ruth made a single plate appearance during the first game of a double-header at Philadelphia's Baker Bowl, then removed himself from the game of baseball for good.’
- ‘He claims that the morale he had developed during the double-header against Iceland and Canada in October, closely followed by the trip to Portugal, was unravelled by nearly three subsequent months without a match.’
- ‘The two clubs were due to meet at Rochdale last weekend in the first leg of a double-header but the game was called off due to a dispute between Hornets and the soccer club, who own the Spotland Stadium.’
- ‘He was back at centre-half 48 hours after operating at full back, one of six City players from the West Brom game completing a double-header.’
- ‘TNT's Thursday night double-header is the only game on the tube.’
- ‘The club has tried to schedule as many double-headers for their home games as possible, with the women playing after the men.’
- ‘The Biancoceleste have had the ideal preparation for the double-header, with a 2-1 win at Udinese at the weekend putting them in the right frame of mind.’
- ‘Still, we managed to beat Italy in the first of a sporting double-header in which our footballers will shortly travel to Italy for a World Cup qualifier.’
- ‘They have one pitcher and they consistently play double-headers.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.