One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a house) with principal windows on either side of the front door.
- ‘In fact, it is a modern reinterpretation of the old idea of the double-fronted house.’
- ‘Entrance to this double-fronted house is through an elegant door.’
- ‘A once in a lifetime opportunity to acquire a double-fronted bungalow on a quite secluded south-facing site in this premier Clontarf location.’
- ‘This most attractive double-fronted residence is within comfortable walking distance of a superb choice of amenities.’
- ‘Built in 1910, our house is semi-detached and double-fronted, with a bay window either side of the front door.’
- ‘Hundreds of residents objected to the scheme to replace the double-fronted house at 12 Balham Park Road and the defunct Chrysalis Theatre to the rear with the block.’
- ‘He lives in a double-fronted vicarage on Linden Avenue which has nine bedrooms and three reception rooms.’
- ‘Young's Auctioneers is handling the sale of 19 Mountpleasant Terrace, a double-fronted cottage with a floor area of 95 square metres which is for sale by private treaty.’
- ‘The double-fronted period house has four bedrooms, one en suite, a sitting room, study, breakfast/dining room, fully fitted kitchen and family bathroom.’
- ‘The elegant double-fronted house in the centre of Harrogate, distinguished from its neighbours by a 30 ft flagpole topped by the Union Jack, could serve as an emblem of the Establishment.’
- ‘For the past 24 years the former schoolteacher has lived in an Edwardian double-fronted house at Beach Road, Happisburgh, on the Norfolk coast, where she runs a B&B and tea shop.’
- ‘In 1907 it had outgrown its premises and moved to a larger site behind a double-fronted house in High Street, Old Town, where EC opened a showroom and repair shop.’
- ‘This attractive double-fronted house was built in the 1920s.’
- ‘He is at his relaxed best in his home in his East Dunfermline constituency in Fife - a detached, double-fronted Victorian house with a large sloping garden behind.’
- ‘Number 63 is a double-fronted house that was built in the 1920s and has such period features as sash windows and high ceilings.’
- ‘Dating from the late 1700s, this three-bedroom, double-fronted residence has been restored in recent years but some original details remain, including the internal doors and ceiling cornicing.’
- ‘Given the double-fronted facade with five windows, a viewer might expect to walk into a larger house than this.’
- ‘This detached double-fronted house has a floor area of 169 square metres and includes five bedrooms, three reception rooms, a study and a kitchen.’
- ‘In Harold's Cross, a four-bedroom double-fronted house at 5 Parnell Road sold for €550,000 through HOK Residential.’
- ‘Dating from the early 1940s, the double-fronted residence has been completely renovated to include underfloor heating and double-glazed windows.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.