One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Stupid or silly.‘dotish foreign TV programmes’
foolish, stupid, unintelligent, idiotic, brainless, mindless, witless, imbecilic, imbecile, doltishView synonyms
- ‘The fisherfolk there know that, which is why they did not mount an armada and head for Tobago after her dotish talk.’
- ‘This ministry thinks parents and children are dotish, therefore they can treat us like fools and we should accept this treatment.’
- ‘When the dotish criminal points a gun at you, he feels like a warlord.’
- ‘I just finished eating my reward for being dotish enough to think I could take home all the groceries in one go.’
- ‘I could tell you that Mr Panday is one of the few persons without a racist bone in his body, and he is fed up with al this dotish racism talk.’
Early 16th century: from obsolete dote ‘folly’ + -ish.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.