One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An additional block of stone placed above an abacus in the columns of a Byzantine or Romanesque arcade.
- ‘They are remarkable for the dosserets carved in bas-relief from various artists.’
- ‘Norman influence is evident in the blind pointed arches supported by dosserets and slim columns and the horizontal and arched mouldings, which are reminiscent of buildings in Palermo erected during the monarchy.’
- ‘On the north, the lowest of these marks is an X on the fourth course of the west dosseret of north wall of the aisle.’
- ‘The interior is divided into nave and aisles by Corinthian columns with high dosserets that rise to pointed arches.’
- ‘The naves are divided by columns topped with dosserets and decorated with bas-reliefs.’
Mid 19th century: from French, diminutive of dossier ‘back’ (denoting a supporting structure).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.