Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Disk operating system, an operating system originally developed for IBM personal computers.
- short for denial of service
- ‘We have proved that this vulnerability can be easily exploited and can be used to DoS almost any SMTP service on the Internet.’
- ‘In trying to prevent a DoS attack they have managed to deny service to thousands of users.’
- ‘Bombs and bullets kill people; computer viruses and DoS attacks merely irritate us.’
- ‘This is the second attempt to tack a DoS extension onto the Computer Misuse Act.’
- ‘In this case, the attackers would launch a DoS attack to consume the resources of the network and computers, especially web servers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.