Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of, denoting, or extending along an axis joining the dorsal and ventral surfaces.
- ‘Contraction of dorsoventral muscles diminishes the space between dorsal and ventral cuticular trunk plates, increases the pressure in the small but liquid-filled body cavity, and last but not least protrudes the head.’
- ‘The nuclei are desynchronized along the dorsoventral axis with chromosome bridges.’
- ‘The tuning of the saccular afferent axons to dorsoventral vibrations is well matched to this spectrum.’
- ‘Each specimen was cut and polished along the median dorsoventral plane with a graded series of carborundum and diamond pastes.’
- ‘In galloping, the epaxial and hypaxial muscles function to produce dorsoventral bending of the vertebral column, and muscles fire bilaterally and uniphasically.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.