Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of a leaf or other part of a plant) having dissimilar dorsal and ventral surfaces.
- ‘It has a thin crustose dorsiventral thallus.’
- ‘Despite the great diversity of leaf morphology, all leaves are defined by a flattened dorsiventral transactional symmetry, determinate development, and initiation from the flanks of the shoot apical meristem.’
- ‘The older second leaf becomes dorsiventral to the first.’
- ‘A typical maize leaf can be divided along three axes, the proximodistal, mediolateral, and dorsiventral or ad/abaxial.’
- 1.1another term for dorsoventral
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.