Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Tibetan Buddhism) a representation of a thunderbolt in the form of a short double trident or sceptre, symbolizing the male aspect of the spirit and held during invocations and prayers.Compare with vajra
- ‘In front of him are bell and dorje that he is shortly to use.’
- ‘The handbell and the dorje are the principal ritual objects of Tantric Buddhism.’
- ‘Below you will find the dorje graphic divider and bullets designed for this page.’
- ‘This means that psionic tattoos, power stones, and dorjes, among other items, are never intelligent.’
- ‘He was teaching his Western students practices that required bells, dorjes and other traditional items, but was unable to find a reliable source for them.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.