Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A compound present in the body as a neurotransmitter and a precursor of other substances including adrenaline.
- ‘Other brain chemicals besides serotonin, such as dopamine and noradrenaline, also play an important part in mood.’
- ‘These drugs all act in the brain to stimulate receptors that recognize the chemical messenger substance dopamine.’
- ‘Either way the result is a similar biochemical effect - the production of neurotransmitters like dopamine.’
- ‘The ability of the brain to absorb or produce chemicals such as dopamine or serotonin is what leads to the illness.’
- ‘Well, dopamine is a brain neurotransmitter, and it's believed to regulate movement.’
1950s: blend of dopa and amine.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.