One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plate on the door of a house or room which gives information about the occupant.
plaque, nameplate, tablet, sign, brass, medallion, plaquette, cartoucheView synonyms
- ‘Even though some land marks have a door plate, almost no taxi drivers can easily find the place when I only tell them the address.’
- ‘The guy did not answer back and he rapped on a door, bearing the door plate: ‘Boss’.’
- ‘They will run their businesses to the ground, and then have a fire sale on brass door plates.’
- ‘The lock itself was the same as the old one but the door plate was completely different and it ended up taking me two hours to get it fitted.’
- ‘The tulips and hearts theme continues throughout the house in wood carvings and stained glass, and even in beautiful brass and copper door plates.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.