A plate on the door of a house or room which gives information about the occupant.
plaque, nameplate, door plate, tablet, sign, brass, medallion, plaquette, cartoucheView synonyms
- ‘They will run their businesses to the ground, and then have a fire sale on brass door plates.’
- ‘Even though some land marks have a door plate, almost no taxi drivers can easily find the place when I only tell them the address.’
- ‘The lock itself was the same as the old one but the door plate was completely different and it ended up taking me two hours to get it fitted.’
- ‘The guy did not answer back and he rapped on a door, bearing the door plate: ‘Boss’.’
- ‘The tulips and hearts theme continues throughout the house in wood carvings and stained glass, and even in beautiful brass and copper door plates.’