One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An object or device of unspecified name or nature.
thing, whatever it is, whatever it is calledView synonyms
- ‘He can turn most TVs off with a handheld doofer that he carries in his pocket.’
- ‘I picked up the doofer and clicked the Menu button.’
- ‘Some vandals had thrown something onto the electric doofer on the top of the train.’
- ‘The moisturiser worked and the other two doofers were a bit disappointing.’
- ‘My new flat does not have central heating, we have these night-storage doofers.’
1930s: perhaps an alteration of do for in phrases like that will do for now.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.