Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A Turkish dish consisting of spiced lamb cooked on a spit and served in slices, typically with pitta bread.
- ‘We had a good evening, got a taxi back, and bought doner kebabs the size of small lifeboats.’
- ‘Meanwhile, only a quarter had heard of the delicacy lamb's fry, while 14 per cent deemed doner kebabs a traditional regional food.’
- ‘These stalls sell the Gulf version of doner kebab; vertical spit-roasted lamb pieces are sliced and served in some form of flatbread such as mafrooda or hollowed-out roll with tomato, parsley, and tahini dressing.’
- ‘You can still pick up a tasty doner kebab or chicken tikka kebab to go - and for a very reasonable price too.’
- ‘I looked for an idea, and spotted the concept of the doner kebab.’
- ‘Having learnt my lesson the hard way, and passed on the doner kebabs, we retired back to Argentina to eat another steak.’
- ‘The doner kebab was served with fresh yogurt, ketchup and butter.’
- ‘It wasn't always thus: once upon a time, I ate undercooked doner kebabs and washed them down with axle-grease instant coffee like the rest of you.’
- ‘Next comes a heavy scattering of tandoori chicken pieces, followed by hulking handfuls of greasy doner kebab meat and great globs of onions marinated in a mysterious radioactive-red sauce.’
- ‘To wit: crusty shards of doner kebab (spit-roasted lamb-and-beef that is the Turkish version of gyros) are piled on toasted bread croutons and sauced with tomato and wildly tart, runny yogurt.’
- ‘People everywhere in the city walk around munching on shawarma, a species of doner kebab: chicken or lamb sliced off a hot rotating cone, wrapped in either pitta or flat Georgia lavash and dipped in spicy yoghurt.’
- ‘There is doner kebab, there is shish kebab, there is kofte kebab.’
- ‘Of course, if there's one Turkish dish that most people are familiar with, it's probably doner kebabs, and these were available, using moist, full-flavored lamb.’
From Turkish döner kebap, from döner rotating and kebap roast meat.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.