One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A polite expression used to indicate that thanks or an apology are not necessary.‘‘Thanks very much.’ ‘Don't mention it, dear boy.’’
don't apologize, it doesn't matter, it makes no difference, it makes no odds, it is unimportant, that's all right, never mind, don't worryView synonyms
- ‘‘Please don't mention it again,’ she said plainly.’
- ‘Man, don't mention it; what are friends for?’
- ‘‘Aw, don't mention it,’ I said, trying to sound cheerful.’
- ‘‘Please don't mention it,’ Vicki snapped slightly.’
- ‘No, don't mention it; I'm sorry I knocked you over.’
- ‘‘Oh, that, don't mention it,’ said Karen, with a chuckle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.