Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘an octagonal, domical vault’another term for domed
- ‘His hall's mosquelike associations appear in its orientation, colonnaded portico, domical crown, and minaretlike spire.’
- ‘This soaring height was capped by an enormous domical monolith, weighing at least 80 tons.’
- ‘Low-relief domical volcanoes, many less than several kilometers in diameter, are globally abundant, numbering in the hundreds of thousands.’
- ‘But imagine a bedroom which is circular and also has a domical roof on top.’
- ‘So the programme called for a centrally focused domical building with nine equal entrances disposed symbolically to welcome people from all directions to prayer and meditation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.