One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The study of household skills such as cooking or sewing, especially as taught at school; home economics.
household management, domestic work, domestic duties, homemaking, the running of the homeView synonyms
- ‘The girls also studied domestic science - which included cooking, knitting and sewing - while the boys did woodwork.’
- ‘Her own domestic science lessons had been conducted by a very strict teacher.’
- ‘The aroma of freshly baked scones wafting along a corridor from the domestic science suite is accompanied by enthusiasm from one of the staff.’
- ‘We did cooking as part of our domestic science class and I got into trouble for burning something.’
- ‘I teach domestic science and we're in the school every morning at 8am preparing for classes to come in.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.