Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An attractive but unintelligent young woman.
- ‘They became real friends because he treated women as equals; he didn't regard her as a sexual object, as a dolly bird, which was the accepted thing at that time.’
- ‘It would be ridiculous for them to bring in some 22-year-old dolly bird.’
- ‘Even before the 1970s became fashionable again, I longed for shag-pile carpets, big collars, disco music and dolly birds.’
- ‘Billie plays Angel, a dolly bird, who is the object of Jimmy's desires.’
- ‘Legwarmers originally hit the heights of popularity in the late 1960s and 70s when dolly birds added them to their thigh-skimming minis.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.