One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ring within which sumo wrestling takes place.
- ‘As anyone who has seen sumo on TV knows, the dohyo is a square with the circular ring inside.’
- ‘As the announcer makes the introduction, the rikishi climbs onto the dohyo and walks along its outer perimeter.’
- ‘Although women wrestle as amateurs, they are still not permitted even to touch the dohyo - the clay ring - that the professional men use.’
- ‘Granted sumo has a circular dohyo, but I felt that the linear abstraction still worked.’
- ‘At the conclusion of a bout, both men climb back onto the dohyo and stand on their side of the ring.’
Japanese, abbreviation of dohyōba ‘wrestling arena’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.