One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ring within which sumo wrestling takes place.
- ‘As anyone who has seen sumo on TV knows, the dohyo is a square with the circular ring inside.’
- ‘Granted sumo has a circular dohyo, but I felt that the linear abstraction still worked.’
- ‘At the conclusion of a bout, both men climb back onto the dohyo and stand on their side of the ring.’
- ‘As the announcer makes the introduction, the rikishi climbs onto the dohyo and walks along its outer perimeter.’
- ‘Although women wrestle as amateurs, they are still not permitted even to touch the dohyo - the clay ring - that the professional men use.’
Japanese, abbreviation of dohyōba ‘wrestling arena’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.