Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who works with trained dogs:‘a police dog handler’
- ‘Around half a dozen officers and a dog handler searched the premises yesterday but did not recover any drugs or drugs paraphernalia.’
- ‘Last year Coetzee applied to become a dog handler.’
- ‘My aim is to become a police officer then gain promotion and be a dog handler.’
- ‘His gang had also been planning a raid on a post office in Bolton when it was inadvertently thwarted by a police dog handler.’
- ‘Twenty members of the volunteer team and a dog handler from the Search and Rescue Dog Association were called out by North Yorkshire Police just after midnight on Saturday morning.’
- ‘At about 1.30 am a dog handler who was first on the scene smashed through a window and dragged the children out.’
- ‘The incident on Friday afternoon began when a dog handler parked on Saxon Way, about half a mile from the airport, was routinely observing passing vehicles.’
- ‘A dog handler and the police helicopter were also called in as officers spent a tense two hours outside the house.’
- ‘He fled but a police dog handler who was passing the pub tracked him down to a bungalow in nearby Little Cheverell.’
- ‘His body was finally discovered nearly four weeks later on April 2 by a police dog handler walking along the river bank.’
- ‘An internal investigation is continuing and it could be weeks before the dog handler discovers if he faces any sanction from the police.’
- ‘A fireman was shot as he tried to douse a blazing jobcentre and a police dog handler survived a bullet ricocheting inside his vehicle.’
- ‘The board feels a second dog handler would help the situation.’
- ‘I looked out of the window and saw about 12 police officers with at least half of them armed and a dog handler and four police vehicles.’
- ‘A police dog handler - the first on the scene - smashed his way into the locked vehicle, dragged the children outside and gave them the kiss of life.’
- ‘A dog handler and other officers received a barrage of abuse and were pelted with various missiles, Basildon Crown Court heard.’
- ‘Regulations stated he could not enter a Category A prisoner's cell alone and only went in accompanied by three other officers, including a dog handler.’
- ‘But when the suspect abandoned the Volvo S40 and jumped out on Adelphi Street, near the River Irwell, the dog handler chased him on foot.’
- ‘Her body was discovered on Sunday, April 2, by a police dog handler walking along the river bank.’
- ‘He became a skilled dog handler and was one of the Magnetic Pole party who established a sledging record of 41 miles in one day.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.