Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The hottest period of the year (reckoned in antiquity from the heliacal rising of Sirius, the Dog Star).
hot weather, hotness, warm weather, warmth, warmness, sultriness, closeness, mugginess, humidity, swelterView synonyms
- ‘These things love the heat, and boy do they take off in the dog days of July / August.’
- ‘It is August, the dog days of summer, the time of squeezing hands during beach barbecues and back-to-school sales.’
- ‘This is arguably the most humane and sensible solution since it saves the players from two weeks of practice under the sweltering sun and heat during the dog days of summer in late July.’
- ‘The so-called dog days of summer - a muggy stretch from early July to early September - might also be called the season's bat days in the United States.’
- ‘The club started off blazing hot, winning its first 13 games before hitting the skids during the dog days of summer, losing 19 of 21 in late July and early August.’
- 1.1A period of inactivity or decline.‘these are indeed dog days for British film production’
- ‘The dog days of January and February have set in.’
- ‘It comes to mind now because the 2001 season is about to enter the dog days, and while we don't know yet who the winners will be come October, we can identify the losers.’
- ‘At this time of year, in the dog days of winter, it's really nice to perk up jaded taste buds by injecting a bit of zest into your cooking.’
- ‘Fortunately, even in the slow dog days of summer, quality rock music is an unstoppable force.’
- ‘We knew that because we played our medium to small sized stadium gigs during the dog days of the third Thatcher term.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.